15 hours/week, 16 weeks: September – December, 2017
Location: Honolulu, HI Application Deadline: 29-August-2017
Schmidt Ocean Institute (SOI) is a U.S. non-profit private operating foundation (www.schmidtocean.org) established in March 2009 to advance the frontiers of global marine research by providing state of the art operational, technological, and informational support to the pioneering ocean science and technology development project at sea and catalyze open sharing of information about the oceans. We bring together science and state-of-the-art technology to achieve lasting results in ocean research, catalyze open sharing of information, and to communicate the resulting knowledge to audiences around the world.
The Science Communications Internship aims to provide educational and practical support to undergraduate and graduate students studying marine science, communications, journalism or related field. Interns will work with our Communications team supporting outreach programs, with the goal of engaging, influencing, and generating public support for a healthy ocean through advanced scientific research, technology innovation, and open sharing of information. The intern will assist with a variety of strategic communications tasks and initiatives, contributing content to Schmidt Ocean Institute’s digital channels and interactive programs. This is a paid internship position.
Participants selected to support the SOI Science Communications Internship will assist, develop and support the following:
- Assist with outreach activities and messaging for Schmidt Ocean Institute and research vessel Falkor with staff and multimedia correspondents.
- Assist with the development and upkeep of research cruise web pages, blogs, archives, as well as real time and interactive content on the organization’s web site.
- Assist with visual content editing, organization, labeling and storage.
- Assist with image and video annotation program development.
- Assist with various communications projects and school and community outreach activities.
- Assist with social media posts via Google+, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Twitter.
- Undergraduate and graduate students majoring in marine science, communications, journalism or related fields or related field.
- Previous experience and/or coursework in marine science, communications, journalism or related field.
- Interest in oceanography, technology, and ocean exploration.
- Familiarity with PCs and Macs, and ability to learn new software.
- Fluent in spoken and written English.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States, have a valid passport and able to travel internationally.
- Applicant must be at least 18 years of age.
- All intern applications should complete the online application here.
- Applicants will need to submit a current CV/resume, two references or letters of recommendation, and current transcripts to email@example.com.
Any application related queries should be sent to Carlie Wiener, Communications Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org.