Schmidt Ocean Institute (SOI) was founded by Eric and Wendy Schmidt in 2009 with a goal to advance the frontiers of ocean exploration and research through technological advancement, intelligent observation, and open sharing of information. This is achieved by making ship time and associated assets freely available to scientists globally. In exchange, SOI supports public sharing of acquired scientific observations, data, and other information about the ocean to stimulate the growth of data applications and user community and to amplify and enable further exploration, discovery, deeper understanding, and effective conservation and management of our environment.
The Multimedia Technician (MMT) is an essential link between R/V FALKOR (too)’s science department, shoreside communications team, and the Institute’s wide-reaching streaming and outreach programs. The MMT place of work will be at sea aboard Falkor (too) for extended periods in order to support Schmidt Ocean Institute’s (SOI) communication and science departments, and will be responsible for helping to conduct onboard outreach programs utilizing live streaming systems.
SOI is a U.S. non-profit private operating foundation established in 2009. Our mission is to catalyze the discoveries needed to understand our ocean, sustain life, and ensure the health of our planet through the pursuit of impactful scientific research and intelligent observation, technological advancement, open sharing of information, and public engagement at the highest levels of international excellence. SOI’s strategic framework is available to provide detail on the Institute’s direction.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with scientists, ship’s crew, and the communications department on expedition outreach planning, both before and during the expedition.
- Ensure successful outreach program implementation.
- Monitor and engage with audiences watching the live stream, including response to questions during expeditions.
- Assist in the visual production of dynamic and engaging Ship-to-Shore experiences for the general public and classrooms, with potential for on-screen appearances.
- Familiarity with management software for extracting spambots and trolls, and online escalation management.
- ROV dive video data quality monitoring, event logging, curation of ROV footage data, managing 4K ROV video library, and oversight of the live streaming on platforms such as YouTube, Twitch, and Facebook.
- Quickly and effectively troubleshoot problems with external broadcast transmissions.
- Operate the ship’s external broadcast systems and instrumentation, including associated hardware and software such as Wirecast, camera systems, audio communications equipment (e.g. Clear-Com), and EvertzAV’s NUCLEUS.
- Support the ship’s AV/IT Engineers in the maintenance of ancillary outreach systems.
- Participate in design and implementation of new broadcast systems; assist in modification of existing systems to fulfill evolving needs.
- Other duties as required.
- Experience in video broadcasting, video engineering, and video archive management
- Experience with installation, testing, operation, interpretation, and maintenance of a variety of broadcast and outreach systems
- Experience creating interactive livestream content and/or supporting STEM learning
- Comfortable with growing and engaging a wide-ranging audience via Livestream content
What We Look for in the Ideal Candidate:
- Background or knowledge of ocean sciences
- Enthusiastic about education and connecting the public to life at sea
- Thinking outside the box and the ability to multitask
- Safety consciousness
- Thrives in a team environment
- Organizational skills to conduct tasks independently to a high professional standard
- University degree or four years of technical schooling and/or job experience
- Fluent in English language speaking, reading and writing
- Must be able to accommodate a 2.5 months on/off schedule (dependent on vessel schedule)
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment background check and drug screen
- Employee agrees to provide a medical fitness certification consisting of a current UK Seafarer Medical Fitness
What we offer:
- Competitive salary and medical insurance (three month probationary period)
- Leave: One day paid leave accrued per day worked
- Training: Company provided training based on position, vessel requirements, etc.
- Transportation: Flight from home airport to vessel and return paid by Company
- Accommodations: cabin TBD, excellent food and recreational facilities
- Employment Company: SPS Maritime Ltd
- Employment Contract Type: Seafarers Employment Agreement as per Marine Labor Convention
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter expressing interest and areas of experience with a comprehensive resume / CV.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Schmidt Ocean Institute is an equal opportunity employer and we strive to create an atmosphere where diversity of identity, experience, and background are welcomed, valued, and supported. We believe that diversity brings about greater results on all levels and we aim to use our resources to generate greater impact through our work. Candidates who contribute to this diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.